Find us on Facebook



14154 Denny Blvd.

Litchfield Park, AZ  85340



800 N. Dysart

Goodyear, AZ  85338



300 E. Wigwam Blvd.

Litchfield Park, AZ  85340


Mary Cavanaugh-Marsh,

Financial Advisor, EDWARD JONES


Estrella Rotary Club


Mickey Ollson, Wildlife World Zoo and Aquarium


Sue and Charlie Salem

Oceano Rentals, Rocky Point, Mexico




Aunt Mary’s HouseMary Brinton Tubbs           
LPHS 2014.9.17Mary Brinton Tubbs LPHS 2014.9.17

The house on the northwest corner of Camelback and Litchfield Roads is the home of the Litchfield Park Historical Society.  Affectionately knows as ‘Aunt Mary’s House’, it was built for Mary Brinton Tubbs on Paul Weeks Litchfield’s Rancho La Loma estate.  Florence Brinton Litchfield, wife of P. W. Litchfield, had three older sisters, Berta, Lydia and Mary. They were the children of Joseph, a captain in the Civil War, and Lydia Ann Brinton. Mary was born in Mingo, Ohio, and the four girls grew up in Ashland, Ohio.  Following high school, Mary attended a small Catholic school near Columbus for a brief period, but was unable to continue due to poor eyesight. She studied typing and shorthand and went to work for her father who had become the Station Master for the Erie Railroad. She also worked as a stenographer in several other situations. On June 23, 1906, Mary married Robert Tubbs in Ashland. Bob and Mary had three children and spent most of their married life in Ashland and Toledo, Ohio. Bob joined Goodyear in 1918 and retired in 1939. Mary managed a busy household while taking care of her children and several other family members. They often visited the Litchfields in Akron, at their summer home in Massachusetts, or at Rancho La Loma, their winter home in Litchfield Park, Arizona.  After Bob’s retirement, Paul Litchfield built them a house on La Loma, the fifth house on the hill. They moved in on January 31, 1941. Mary said the house was ‘ideal in every way – the kind I had never expected to live in.’

Bob became the overseer of the ranch and orchards at that time. Mary was active in the Litchfield Park community, and during World War II spent a great deal of time volunteering  at the Luke Air Force Base Hospital, rolling bandages, writing letters for the soldiers, and other necessary civilian tasks. At home she kept busy with cooking endeavors which included making large quantities of kumquat preserves, canning all sorts of ranch fruits and vegetables, and preserving dates from the palm trees. Bob Tubbs died of heart failure in August, 1944. Mary stayed on in Arizona, taking frequent trips to Akron and visiting her children and her sisters. In 1950 Mary fell and broke her hip. Following her recovery, she moved to California to be near her children. Mary Brinton Tubbs died May 6th, 1968, at age 95. Her house at La Loma was rented out for a number of years until the Denny family took over the property in 1976. It was deeded to Sun Health in 1999. They reconditioned it and used it as a health and sales office during the construction of La Loma Village. Sun Health made the property available for use by the historical society in the fall of 2008.  Hopefully it will now become a place of community interest and a wealth of historical information archived and preserved for future community study and enjoyment.






          Plans for the construction of

   The P. W. Litchfield Heritage Center! 

Be part of this exciting project. We have begun a Capital Campaign to move to the top of the hill behind our current museum and into the historic Litchfield/Denny house. The house, located in the center of a historic 21-acre property, will be re-purposed into a museum, archive, research library, and site for community gatherings. Read more in the Spring 2019 Newsletter and connect here to see floor plans, funding goals and donation link.   

Link to P. W. Litchfield Heritage Center information